Saturday, May 1, 2010

Oh look, she knits!

Once upon a time, I bought this colorful yarn from Katia, called Bombay. (Seen in this post right here, if you just scroll down a bit.) And then I just about forgot that it existed, until I saw this post from 50 villapeikkoa. I started thinking about what I could make with the yarn I had, and finally settled on a tunic-type-thingy for the tiny one. It is worked in the round, from the top down. I made the yoke in garter stitch, because I think it looks fun in variegated yarns. The body is then knit in stockinette, and I decided to add a picot hem. I pondered between a garter stitch hem or this picot, and settled on the picot. I think it looks cute. :) The tunic ended up a bit too big on the tiny one, but she'll grow into it. The only problem that I actually have, is that the sleeves are too tight, I did the binding off too tight, so I have to undo the bind off on both sleeves, and do it again.
I added buttons to one side of the yoke, but those are really just for show, because there is no need to open them to get it over the tiny one's head. And I just now realized that I don't have a close-up of that.. Oh well.. You can kinda see them in this pic.
There are four buttons, eventho you can only see two of them in the pic.
I also started something new today. I saw the Skid hat on watch stephen knit, and I just had to have it. I hardly ever start knitting on something right after getting the pattern, but this time I did. Now, admittedly, I haven't gotten very far yet, but I've only worked on it for about twenty minutes. I'm making it in Malabrigo and some other yarn that I can't even remeber what it is. Here's my huge progress. :)
I'm also working on making a pattern for a skirt for myself, based on this skirt.
I'm using black fabric, because white skirts and me, we just don't go together. I'm not even trying to make an exact match, I'm just making my own version of it. :) Here's my brainstorming (or brain melting, as the case may be) area, I've spent quite a long while there today, trying to figure out which piece goes where, and what part should be what size.. And then I got a bit frustrated, and had to go out for a long walk. Luckily there are loads of helpful people on the internet who are willing to help when you get stuck. :)

7 comments:

  1. Jee sä sait sen langan käytettyä! :)) Söpö mekko, kuten myös sen käyttäjä!

    ReplyDelete
  2. kiva tunika ja sopo pieni... miks ne kasvaa niin nopeasti?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The tunic is really cute, especially with the little one wearing it! Great job! I can't wait to see the skirt....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Artesanity - I love the skirt too, I'm really nervous about what my version will look like.

    villapeikko - kiitti! Mulle jäi vielä reilu kerä lankaa, tiiä mitä käyttöä sille keksis..

    Tea - Noi kasvaa kyllä niin kauheen nopeesti, toikin pieni täyttää kohta jo kaks! Ei voi ymmärtää..

    Dorothy - thanks! I'm going to continue working on the pattern for the skirt today..

    ReplyDelete
  5. I´m hearting the tiny beauty and her new tunic is not too shabby, either.

    Told´ya you can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. weirdRockStar - aw, thanks. :)

    ReplyDelete